Saturday, February 12, 2011

Freedom of the Press.

Hi, hiya, thanks, cheers...just because you speak English and you're in the UK, where British people speak another kind of English, does not mean you're not a foreigner. Being thrust into a completely new environment, even one with familiar elements, always presents some awkwardness that can only be sorted through by a gradual familiarization. I make the physical analogy of this strange feeling in that it's like being naked on a cold morning. It's uncomfortable. Having only been here for roughly 10 days, at least 5 of those lagging from the jet, I'd say I'm still working on clothing myself with the culture.

There's a separate setting and a new context here for everything I brought with me. An idea we discussed in my class on modernism and modernity by Henri Bergson here applies to my experience. That being that anything in the past which is a part of memory, and your exercise of tapping into that memory, is then, also, a part of the present. Being in London, there's a separate setting and a new context for everything emotionally, psychologically, and obviously physically as well. The new context even allows one to romanticize and accentuate feelings developed before arrival towards, well, really anything. And even the simplistic routine aspects of life take on a gleam of excitement with the newness of it. For example, I don't think I've ever taken so long to buy groceries and enjoy the process to such an extent. Though as I adjust to the context of life in London verses life in Chicago, or life in New Hampshire, I come to find the fresh sparkle begins to flake off, and you find yourself living here experiencing similar feelings, frustrations, and concerns you would at home. And I think and dream of home in a new light. Not that I want to be there at present, but, being here gives me new found appreciation for what I've established in my own country, especially relationships with friends and family.

A few highlights of my week:

I spent this Saturday night in the West end of London, circling 'round Soho and Leicester square with a group of American friends as we looked for a suitable pub to set down in. Having finally made the choice for a bit roomier scene, we passed an enjoyable evening sampling the local ales in a swanky bench-seat cushioned saloon. We might have stayed to burn the midnight oil, however the tube trains close at midnight and navigating the bus route can prove tricky to the baby Londoner. All in all, I had a good time taking in the spirit of a typical weekend in this London hot spot on the border of Chinatown. The foot traffic overflows into the streets and the bars, like KU, are teeming with young hearts swelling to the UK top 40, which is a lot like the U.S. top 40 five or ten years ago- with a few exceptions. And there's a little dodgy character on the corner, hidden amidst the mob saying discretely but audibly as you pass, "You ladies wanna party tonight?" And I don't think he's looking for friends. If you missed that-- drugs. The prevalence is astounding!

The resonating impression I took away from my first weekend in London town allowed me to begin to register with 1. how incredibly large London is, and 2. how much more incredibly the people of London cover every bit of surface. If there's empty chairs or slots at the bar by 8pm, be sure they'll be filled by 10, and by 11, expect not to see the floor you're walking on. Though, perhaps the most incredible part of it is that you won't see one Londoner within these massive and rapidly collecting clusters express any frustration with it. It's just the way it is. The expression 'the more the merrier' must have been coined here.


By far the best part of my weekend happened on Monday. I met my friend who came in the city from Brighton, down in Central London in front of Big Ben. We chatted along the Thames and turned every direction off London bridge before landing on Trafalgar square. We had fancy coffee at an Italian café that branded 1882 in chocolate on the foam. We laughed at that, bought post cards including images of a sky view of the Houses of Parliament, as well as close-ups of the Queen- laughed at that too.


At 7:00 pm, Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, Holborn, there and then took place a rally led of behalf of Julian Assange of Wikileaks. We scoped out the venue around 5:30pm and settled into a nearby pub for some brews, a bite, and a preparatory discussion infused with the great anticipation of what to expect from this political spectacle. Ran into a couple American ladies in the pub as the hour neared seven who were intensely curious how we heard of the organization and advised us to be careful, as those in attendance were wary of American government spies. She was a little nuts, but her tone was an appropriate precursor to the seriousness of the gathering. It was more organized and formal than I envisioned, which made me feel the grounds were safe for this kind of contained, intellectual protesting. The speakers were well-spoken and included distinguished journalists, veterans, and activists who expressed the views of at least all those in attendance, and many of the British and American people, when they conveyed disappointment with the current government "censorship" or, to put it bluntly, the lies that have been told to cover up what we know now to be an ugly truth. It was a passionate sort of outpouring that reflected on the shameless contradiction to American first amendment rights apparent in the words and actions of our government officials (though not exclusive to the U.S. Tony Blair was mentioned.)

One of the speakers expressed a view that I think many people feel regarding the leaks on the war in Iraq. It's not so much that we didn't think these atrocities of cruelty were not possible or even not probable, but rather the most appalling bit is the continued determination to conceal and deny what has already been revealed, and to unjustly punish someone who acted in accordance with the pursuit of truth and righteousness, the democratic ideal. Being in London, at this rally, was a meaningful experience that felt like a reawakening to the benevolent possibilities like minds and motives hold. Very glad to have been in attendance.

I've once again been impassioned by the fervor of justice through reason that it's a concept that must be actively perpetuated, and this is all the more necessary when the previously established fundamentals of said idea begin to shift from corrupt, self-interested influences. It's hard at times to remember human flaw exists among all including those who hold the power. Human weakness can lead them to use it unjustly or to neglect to use it for the principles the nature of those powers are tied to by moral law. All the more necessary for the citizens to make clear the establishment of human rights and to remind those with power that the 'people' have not become indifferent, and that the technological generation has not bred passivity, in actuality, contrary to what it may seem. I think what's changed is our reactions tend not to be as public or discussed and having less opportunities for objectives to gain momentum in an organized fashion, being so distracted as we are, the would-be collective force of these passions and ideas are often latent, between sheets of paper, behind computer screens, and sealed by closed lips in the heart that feels powerless.

Ancient Greek historian Herodotus said, "The worst part a man can suffer is to have insight into much and power over nothing."

(I know I'm verging on becoming a compulsive quoter. Though I only mean to give credit to the ideas that affect me, rather than simply adopting them as my own.)

Tomorrow there's a public demonstration in Trafalgar square to stand in solidarity with the Egyptian people and their struggle for democratic rights, which now has already begun to be hopeful as their leader recently announced his resignation. Hopefully, a relatively small number of people can help to make an historic difference and alleviate some of this suffering.

I don't mean this to be a political blog; for I do not have full confidence in the degree to which I remain informed, unbiasedly, on the issues. It only is so in this post because I felt personally compelled to share my experience with you, in that I feel it's my place as representative of the aforementioned rally to impart the feelings, opinions, and thoughts the group and its leaders impressed upon me.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,

    We are really enjoying your blog. Sounds like you are having a real life's learning experience in addition to having some fun. That's important important. Keep it up.
    Aunt Debbe & Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete